Skip to content
left end
left end
right end
Transition was good. Everyone was friendly, helpful and caring



Having a neuromuscular condition doesn't mean that you aren't able to travel. You might just need to plan a bit more. You can find out information about traveling on the links below. This might involve exploring your local city, travelling in the UK or thinking about going abroad. 

  • Accessible Britain is a Guide that is published every year that gives clear and helpful advice to highlight the best inclusive and accessible days out/places to visit for people of all abilities, from wildlife parks and gardens, to museums and art galleries.  You can download a copy of the "Rough Guide to Accessible Britain" here.
  • Changing Places have details of where all available Changing Places toilet facilities are based in the UK.  Changing Places toilets are larger and more accessible than average disabled toilets; they have more space and include equipment such as a height adjustable changing bench and a hoist.  The Changing Places Map is very useful for when you are out and about, or if you want to plan your day out.  See their website here.
  • Enable holidays  can help if you have ideas of what you would like to do but need help with planning, they are a company that organises tailor-made holidays for disabled people; see their website here for more information.  
  • Mobility Hire is a supplier of rental mobility equipment in the UK, which could be useful when looking for mobility equipment to be used temporarily, for example during a holiday stay. See their website here.

Bus and train passes
You may be eligible for a Disabled Persons Bus pass; you can find out more here, or for a Disabled Persons Railcard which gives you discount on train tickets in the UK.  Visit their website here for more information. If you are not eligible for this you should still be able to get a young Person's railcard, you can find out more information here.

Access Card
An Access Card (sometimes referred to as the CredAbility Card or a Nimbus Card) is a card that highlights the barriers you face, due to your disability/impairment and the reasonable adjustments you might need, such as someone to accompany you, standing or queuing is a barrier to going places, require wheelchair access, an assistance dog, urgent toilet needs. Unfortunately, Access can't guarantee a venue will accept their card but it is becoming more widely used and where it is accepted reduces the need to explain your needs. There is a small charge when applying for the card. You can find out more here.

Travelling abroad
If you are thinking about travelling outside the UK there are some services that can give advice on travelling by air, for example 'QEF's Tryb4uFly Service'; see their website here. In people who use a ventilator to support their breathing, air travel may require some additional considerations and advance planning.