Skip to content
left end
left end
right end
Transition was good. Everyone was friendly, helpful and caring



Having a neuromuscular condition doesn't always mean that you are not able to drive, you may just need some adaptations or support to do so. For most young people you can apply for a provisional driving licence three months before you turn 16 years old - however, you cannot start learning to drive until you are 17 years old.  The provisional licence can take up to 12 weeks to come through after applying.

However, if you are receiving Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you can learn to drive a car and take a test when you are 16 years old - this is only if you receive the 'enhanced mobility' part of PIP.

You can apply for a provisional licence here. Once you have learned to drive and passed your driving test, you will need to inform the DVLA of your neuromuscular condition; please read more here.

You can find information about driving with a disability, driving assessments, driving instructors, alternatives to driving and driving aboard on the driving mobility website.

Blue Badge
If you have problems with walking or other mobility problems you may be able to get Blue Badge to enable you to park your car near shops and other places you wish to visit, even if you are not in receipt of enhanced mobility. There is further information about this on the Muscular Dystrophy UK website here.  If you are eligible you can apply for a Blue Badge by clicking here