Skip to content
left end
left end
right end

Postgraduate research and trainee doctors

If you are a trainee or junior doctor, or post-graduate student interested in getting involved in research, you will need an experienced supervisor. They will be responsible for ensuring you have the appropriate training, and/or that others in the research team have the necessary skills to carry out the research.

UH Bristol does not provide training in statistical or other methodology; however, if you are associated with a university you will be able to access their training courses.

You will also need to be sure whether the project you are proposing is 'research', 'audit' or 'service evaluation'; different processes apply to each.

Some universities offer Masters degrees by distance learning. These often involve a project at the host institution. If you are thinking of doing this, please consider the points above, and be aware that you will need a local experienced supervisor of your project. Please contact the Research & Innovation department well in advance of your proposed start date, to ensure that you will be able to undertake the research at UH Bristol. Again, you will need to consider whether the project is 'research', 'audit' or 'service evaluation'.

PhD Fellowships

There are various Clinical Training Fellowships offered by the NIHR and other funders, which will lead to a PhD. You can apply for funding yourself (with an experienced supervisor), or sometimes a fellowship will be advertised nationally.

The NIHR offers fellowships for doctors, nurses, allied health professionals and clinical scientists; please see the NIHR trainees coordinating centre website for more information.

Fellowships are available from other funders, for example:
The British Heart Foundation
Arthritis Research UK

If you have funding from another source please contact us via so we can add it to the list.