Skip to content
left end
left end
right end
Transition was good. Everyone was friendly, helpful and caring



As a child or young person you will usually be seen in Bristol Royal Hospital for Children for your appointments. 

When you are ready to transfer to adult services you will either need to go to the BRI which is located next to the Childrens Hospital or to Southmead if you are more local to North Bristol. In the BRI, the new adult rheumatology department (B504) is located on level 5 of the King Edward VII building, next to the main building. At Southmead hospital, the clinic is located on Level 1, Gate 5 (to the left of Costa Coffee as you walk in from the main building entrance). Although you are being seen in adult services you will initially be seen in Young Adult clinics and so there will be other young adults around and staff will have experience in working with people your age.

Young Adult Clinics

We recognise that the move from children's to adult services can be difficult and hope that having your own clinic will make the transition easier for you and your family. The doctor and nurse may see you together or one after the other. They will discuss your medical background with you and answer any questions you may have. You may have already addressed some of these issues through the 'Ready Steady Go' programme with the Paediatric team. 

When do I attend the clinic? 

At Southmead hospital, the clinic runs once a month on a Monday afternoon led by Dr Nicky Minaur and Specialist Nurse Elaine McCormack.

Similarly, at the BRI, the clinic runs four times a year on a Friday morning led by Dr Matt Roy and Specialist Nurse Tracy French. We also have a specialist transition clinic for patients with autoimmune connective tissue diseases, led by Dr Jo Robson.

We can also hold clinics at South Bristol Community Hospital in Hengrove and Cossham hospital.

The transition process will usually occur in Bristol. However, when you feel comfortable with adult services, you have the option to be seen at your local hospital, even if that is outside Bristol.

If you have a preference for a certain doctor, you will also be able to request this change.