Skip to content
left end
left end
right end

23 December 2016

Alternative health services

We are encouraging members of the public to think twice before visiting an A&E department with a minor injury or illness that could be treated elsewhere. Emergency services are always in high demand because a lot of people don't know about other services available to them that might be more suitable for their needs and concerns. 

When is it an emergency?

Accident and Emergency (A&E) departments provide urgent treatment for serious or life-threatening conditions, see some examples here. If your condition is less urgent, you may have to wait a long time to be seen. Other places you can go for treatment are:

- your GP
- a minor injuries unit
- your local pharmacy
- walk-in centres

Help and advice 

Instead of calling 999, call NHS 111 anytime for free for professional medical advice.
If you need to find out more about your symptoms visit NHS choices. It may be you have a condition which you can treat yourself at home. Resting and drinking plenty of fluids can help with common illnesses. If you have a minor wound, washing it with clean water and covering it with a plaster or bandage will help prevent infection. For more information click here

Please visit the Bristol Clinical Comissioning Group website for more on your health and local services.