What we do
The Retina Service provides diagnostic and treatment facilities
for almost all conditions affecting the back of the eye. This
includes the retina, the vitreous body, and the uvea (iris, ciliary
body, and choroid). A management service for uveitis is offered to
the whole South West Region. Treatments may be carried out on the
day of appointment (eg laser treatment or intraocular injection for
age-related macular degeneration), or booked for a subsequent
Further information for patients
Outpatient clinics are held in the Richardson Cross Unit on the
2nd Floor of the Eye Hospital.
Patients are advised not to drive to their appointment, as drops
to dilate the pupil are almost always required and these may
significantly blur your vision.
For a patient's story on their Artisan lens replacement surgery
at the Bristol Eye Hospital click here.
Conditions we treat
- Complications of diabetic retinopathy
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Ocular inflammatory disease and inflammation associated with
systemic and rheumatological disease
- Retinal breaks and retinal detachment
- Macular hole and epiretinal membrane
- Injuries, including foreign bodies
- Complications of cataract surgery
- Macular translocation surgery
Treatments we offer
The treatments we offer can be medical treatment with drugs,
laser treatment or surgery. Patients need to be referred by their
GP or by the eye department of another hospital.
The secretary for the Retina Service can be contacted on 0117
information for clinicians