Transition in the cardiac service
We want to help you feel confident living with your heart
condition and to make sure that you have all the information that
you need to help you feel supported as you move to adult
What will happen?
As an adolescent your doctor and your clinical nurse specialist
will start to talk to you more about:
- your heart condition and your medications;
- what it is like living with your heart condition;
- lifestyle issues (smoking alcohol, taking risks);
- what you might want to know about the adult hospital;
- who you can contact when you have questions; and
- taking more control in your clinic appointments by asking
questions and spending time with the doctor on your own.
When you and your doctor at the children's hospital agree
that you are ready to move to the adult hospital, a transfer pack
containing your medical information will be put together by the
children's team and this will be sent to the adult service.
You will be invited to attend a young person's cardiology clinic
where the specialist nurse and cardiologist can talk to you more
about living safely with your heart condition and answer questions
you may have. We will give you and your family lots of support
during this time as you get ready to move hospitals, so please tell
us if you are worried about any part of the process.
We are looking forward to helping you!
To visit our general transition homepage click here