Restorative referral form and information for student treatment
Patients who require non-complex restorative dentistry may be
taken on by the undergraduate dental student programme for teaching
and training purposes. Our undergraduate students carry out
restorations, periodontics, endodontics, fixed and removable
The service is free of charge and treatment is provided by a
dedicated team of staff and students from the School of Oral
and Dental Sciences, one of the top dental schools in the
U.K. All student treatment is closely supervised by qualified
clinical staff. This service operates most days of the week, but
patients will need to commit to lengthy appointments and be
available to attend appointments on most days of the
These treatment items change according to the educational needs
of the dental students and cannot be guaranteed to be available.
Patients will only be accepted if they suit the needs of the
undergraduate teaching programme at the time of referral.
Patients will be required to attend a 'New Patient Assessment
Clinic' for a brief dental examination. Their suitability for
dental undergraduate treatment will be assessed. There is no
guarantee they will be accepted. For patients who are accepted,
they will be discharged at the end of a course of treatment and
will not receive continuing dental care.
What types of patients are suitable for student treatment?
The following patients are NOT suitable for
restorative student clinics. Please check your patient
against these exclusions before referring.
- UK resident for less than 12 months
- Unable to commit to lengthy appointments, requires / expects
quick treatment, cannot attend most days of the week
- Severe anxiety / phobia, unable to accept LA
- Severe behavioural / personality / communication
- Excessively complex medical history
- Restorative needs that cannot be managed within a standard
general practice setting, or requires specialist care
- Failing dentition requiring extensive crown / bridgework
- Significant changes to occlusion are required
- Complex RCT e.g. non-visible pulp chamber, non-patent canals,
curved roots, re-RCT
- Requires implants
- Requires extractions only i.e. no dentures or restorations
- Requires other non-restorative dental care
If you wish to refer a patient for student treatment, you should
download and complete a
restorative referral form for student treatment: clinician
referral. Completed forms should be emailed or posted
to the address shown on the form.
Further information about this service can be found in our patient