10 January 2017
Update on the local health and social care system
The Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire health and
social care system is continuing to experience significant
pressures and is currently (10 January) at operational pressures
escalation level (OPEL) 4.
This means that there is severe pressure across the local health
and social care system requiring decisive action to maintain safe,
Local health and care partners have implemented agreed plans to
manage demand and restore capacity across the system,
- Recalling hospital and community healthcare operational staff
from non-escalation activity, including cancelling non-essential
training, and redeploying staff to specific escalation teams/areas
- Rescheduling non-urgent operations and outpatient appointments
where possible to free clinical capacity to treat patients needing
- Using all available escalation bed capacity within hospitals
and community wards
- Increasing out-of-hours GP capacity and community healthcare
support to reduce pressures on A&E units.
- Residents are encouraged to help by choosing the most
appropriate services for their needs and using A&E for serious
and life-threatening emergencies only.
BACK TO NEWS